Sunday, September 26, 2010

Smoked Fish

I absolutely ADORE smoked fish and feel lucky to have married a man who shares my passion! A few months ago we bought some amazing smoked wild salmon and smoked trout from our local farmers market. I decided to make a smoked fish plate for dinner one night with the following accompaniments:
  • Beet Salad
  • French Potato Salad (adapted from Jacques Pepin's recipe)
  • Lemon Horseradish Dill Yogurt Sauce
  • Sliced Lemon, Tomato, and Capers
  • Cocktail Pumpernickel Bread
Omigosh it was sooo delicious! I started with some lovely beets. I boiled them until tender. Waited for them to cool, peeled and cut them and added some lemon juice and olive oil, salt and pepper and voila! Sweet and tangy goodness. I always like a sweet element to a meal when I have something smoked, like smoked fish. Sweet & smokey go together perfectly, making a well-balanced flavor profile.

Next, I made the delicious French Potato Salad. I pretty much followed the recipe exactly as Jacques Pepin created it, only I didn't have fresh chives so I substitutes dried and I omitted the hard-boiled egg garnish. I highly recommend this recipe. The fingerling potatoes work perfectly and cooking the onion and garlic and then adding them to the salad really adds great flavor without the sharp tang of raw onion and garlic. Plus the Dijon adds a nice zip. I used parsley for my herb (you could also use basil or tarragon).

The lemon dill horseradish yogurt sauce is simple. Take some Fage Greek Yogurt and add fresh lemon juice, salt, prepared horseradish and chopped fresh dill to taste. Voila!
Put it all together and you have a delicious cold meal for a warm summer night.



No comments:

Post a Comment