Friday, March 19, 2010

1 package of ground turkey - two delicious meals!


I had a package of ground turkey, a desire to make spaghetti and meatballs and a craving for Middle Eastern food. What's a girl to do? Make two dinners, of course!

Ground turkey and chicken are becoming fast favorites of mine for protein. So versatile and easy to cook, ground turkey can be transformed into meatballs, chili, sausage, meatloaf, etc etc etc.

I bought some whole what spaghetti to keep it healthy (though Sam and I decided that the meatballs and sauce were good enough without the pasta and I never ended up cooking any of it!). I used a recipe from Ellie Krieger for Turkey Meatballs and a Quick and Spicy Tomato Sauce. I love how the smell of homemade tomato sauce permeates the apartment. Mmm.

But the middle eastern meatballs were what I was really looking forward to. Spiced Kofte on a bed of lightly dressed baby spinach in lemon juice and olive oil, with a tart apple raita in a toasted pita!!! Wow. The flavors were great. Thanks Bobby Flay! The savory, spicy meatballs went perfectly with the cool raita. Sam and I love yogurt sauces and we were both blown away by the unique apple raita. Plus, this meal was really easy to make. (Easier than the meatballs and tomato sauce!) Check it out!


1 comment:

  1. I'm making your turkey meatballs for dinner today. I couldn't find any ground turkey, or chicken for that matter, not that I'd want ground chicken because I've heard it's really fatty. I had to resort to a 1/2 beef and 1/2 pork ground meat mixture. I'll let you know how it is!

    ReplyDelete