Thursday, March 25, 2010

Ya Win Some, Ya Lose Some (Part 2)


Winner: Fennel salad with olive oil and lemon, red onion and spices.
Loser: Alaskan Cod breaded in panko and broiled. Blech.

Why oh why did I choose Cod? I mean, the recipe called for Cod and I hadn't ever cooked with it and it works so well battered and fried with chips and tartar sauce, right?

WRONG!

It sucked. Man. I hate to make a dinner and then watch it fail. Well, maybe that's dramatic. It was edible. Sam and I both ate the entire meal. But it wasn't delicious. The fillets were way too thick to cook properly and honestly, we both found the Cod to be pretty tasteless. Especially compared to my usual fish of choice to cook with the chock-full-of-Omega-3s-low-in-mercury, ever-so-affordable: Rainbow Trout.

I guess it wasn't a complete failure: the tartar sauce accompanying the fish was damn good! Sam actually said that it was better than many restaurant chefs' tartar sauce!


And of course, the fennel salad I served with it was absolutely fabulous. I used my mandoline again and dressed a medium fennel bulb and 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion in 2 teaspoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, a pinch of ground coriander, cumin, some salt and pepper, and parsley. Mmmmmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment